Skip to main content

The Neddiad, by Daniel Pinkwater

The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization 



From Amazon: "The old powers try to come back, and the planet is plunged into chaos, and civilization is destroyed, and it gets all violent and evil...the old legends tell that a hero...with the sacred turtle, always...

Los Angeles, California.
Neddie Wentworthstein is the guy with the turtle.
Sandor Eucalyptus is the guy with the jellybean.
Sholmos Bunyip wants the turtle...and he'll stop at nothing to get it."


Despite that rather badly written summary (I felt I had to include it to uphold tradition), The Neddiad is hysterically funny, incredibly unique, and unbelievably clever. The main thing you will learn from this book is that smart people are more entertaining. Daniel Pinkwater doesn't come across as a snooty intellectual, but it's very clear that he's really smart, because pretty much every sentence is a masterwork  of comic genius. This book is good in print but it's much better if you get the audio book narrated by Daniel Pinkwater himself. It's even funnier that way. 

"“The first thing I saw was an African lion, about one foot from my nose. I jumped … It only took a second to realize that it was stuffed and not alive — but you can go through quite a number of emotion in one second. The emotion I settled on was that it was an extremely neat thing.”"

“If I had to sum up my first impression of Los Angeles in a few words, I would say it’s a perfect combination of glamorous and crummy.”

“Billy the Phantom Bellboy said this was the best thing that had ever happened to him in his whole death.”
 Until next time, 

Rachel Duncan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Invited to a Party, by Mo Willems

From Goodreads: " Gerald is careful. Piggie is not. Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can. Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to. Gerald and Piggie are best friends. In I Am Invited to a Party! Piggie is invited to her first party. She doesn't know what to wear, though, so she asks her best friend Elephant for help. Elephant's advice is odd to say the least...." My love of books began when I was tiny, and picture books hold a special place in my heart. I'm also the oldest child in my family, so I've been able to keep up on the latest and best picture books throughout the years. Mo Willem's Elephant and Piggie series is quite simply outstanding. I am Invited to a Party is my favorite. The simple and expressive drawings pair perfectly with the sparse and witty dialogue.  The plot is simple but relatable- haven't you ever been to a party and not known quite what to wear? Elephant and Piggie solve the problem in a hilarious way, but you&

Anonymity in the Internet Age

I've been thinking a lot about Internet anonymity and cyber bullying lately and I decided that although this blog is primarily for book-related posts, as part of the billions of creative endeavors on the Internet, this blog is as good of a place as any to share my thoughts. I've never experienced a great deal of cyber bullying, but I do know many people who have suffered because of it, and I know well that it is truly a serious problem. Obviously, if you are engaging in clear cyber bullying activities like threatening someone or sending hateful messages, please stop. You never know how much you could really hurt someone and no one deserves to feel hated and belittled. (If you want a great book that will ma ke you reco nsider the effect that you have on other people, Wonder by R.J. Palacio is a great choice.) But for those of you who don't do anything shockingly and obviously outrageous on the Internet, I want you to think seriously about this question: "

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

From Goodreads: " A wonderfully entertaining coming-of-age story,  Northanger Abbey  is often referred to as Jane Austen’s 'Gothic parody.' Decrepit castles, locked rooms, mysterious chests, cryptic notes, and tyrannical fathers give the story an uncanny air, but one with a decidedly satirical twist. The story’s unlikely heroine is Catherine Morland, a remarkably innocent seventeen-year-old woman from a country parsonage. While spending a few weeks in Bath with a family friend, Catherine meets and falls in love with Henry Tilney, who invites her to visit his family estate, Northanger Abbey. Once there, Catherine, a great reader of Gothic thrillers, lets the shadowy atmosphere of the old mansion fill her mind with terrible suspicions. What is the mystery surrounding the death of Henry’s mother? Is the family concealing a terrible secret within the elegant rooms of the Abbey? Can she trust Henry, or is he part of an evil conspiracy? Catherine finds dreadful portents i